Thursday, October 4, 2018

tldr: follow along as I (try to) learn real estate financial modeling

Hey y'all and welcome to my sweet blog.

This semester, I'm interning for a Commercial Real Estate (CRE) development and investment firm in Nashville called Elmington Capital Group (ECG). My goal for my time here is to learn how to create real estate financial models--a vital skill that developers and real estate finance professionals need to have. Specifically, my focus is on how to underwrite Class-A multifamily (apartment) developments.

the office questions GIF

Raise your hand if you have no idea what I'm talking about... Ok, that's what I expected, a fair amount of hands. Don't fret just yet, my hope is to break down this complicated process into more understandable and digestible pieces; SO, it doesn't matter if you don't know anything about real estate or finance: you can, and should, still follow along with my blog. Please, I'm asking nicely you guys.


dying elaine benes GIF by HULU

Are you still with me? I've already started my deep dive into learning how to underwrite potential developments, so I will be following up shortly with my first blog post: an overview of basic financial and real estate principles. I'm excited to learn this skill, and share my development as I progress through this goal. I hope by the end of this, you will have the knowledge necessary to talk about financial modeling in an interview or create a model of your own.

What to expect:
  • A plethora of Office and Seinfeld Memes/GIFs
  • Relatable analogies
  • A lot of real estate concepts and plenty of fun acronyms
What not to expect: 
  • A funny joke to joke ratio greater than 1:50 (One is bound to land though, right?)
  • The key to becoming a successful real estate developer
  • A blog post that will take you more than 5 minutes to read

Welcome to My Adventure in Real Estate Financial Modeling, you might want to grab a cup of coffee...

jerry seinfeld coffee GIF




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Model will Always be Wrong, Make Sure it's not Too Wrong

There are many important things to keep in mind when creating financial models. I have learned a lot by working through various mod...